Acyclovir is used in the treatment of herpes labialis, herpes simplex virus infections, shingles, genital herpes infection and chickenpox.
How Acyclovir works
Acyclovir is an antiviral medication. It prevents the multiplication of virus in human cells. This stops the virus from producing new viruses and clears up your infection.
- Acyclovir helps in the treatment of herpes, chickenpox, and shingles.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Drink plenty of water while on treatment with this medicine. This helps to prevent dehydration and kidney damage.
- If you have genital herpes, use barrier methods (condoms) for contraception and avoid sexual contact while the sores are present.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.